» Animal Health News & Notes for March 8, 2019
Animal Health News & Notes for March 8, 2019
Copyright © Brakke Consulting
Editor: Lynn Fondon DVM MBA
IN THE NEWS:
Brakke Consulting news
Field Sales Force Census report
Ouro Fino Saúde Animal
Better Choice Company
Canopy Animal Health
Cardinal Pet Care
Hippo Manager Software
Pet Health Innovation Labs
Royal De Heus
Smart Tracking Technologies
ANIMAL AGRICULTURE ALLIANCE
MAY 8-9, 2019
The Animal Agriculture Alliance’s 2019 Stakeholders Summit, themed “A Seat At The Table,” is set for May 8-9 in Kansas City, Missouri. The speaker lineup will tackle diverse topics from understanding consumer perceptions to engaging influencers to protecting farms and other agricultural operations from activist threats.
No matter which part of the supply chain you represent, the 2019 Summit will offer out-of-the-box ideas your team can immediately implement to help bridge the communication gap between farm and fork and help your business grow into the future.
To view the agenda and register, visit http://summit.animalagalliance.org/.
COMPANY EARNINGS RELEASES
• Ouro Fino Saúde Animal reported results for the year 2018. Annual revenues reached R$589 million ($157 million), up 17% year-on-year. Adjusted EBITDA for the full year was up 27% to R$131.7 million ($35 million). (Animal Pharm)
• Avivagen Inc. reported its unaudited financial results for Q1 2019 ended January 31. The corporation reported revenues of $322,125, a doubling of revenues compared to revenues of $143,201 for the three-month period ended January 31, 2018, and a comprehensive loss from continuing operations of $(1,141,797). (company press release)
• Kindred Biosciences, Inc. announced financial results for the full year ended December 31, 2018. Net product revenues were $2.0 million; the net loss was $(49.7) million compared to a net loss of $(30.9) million in 2017. The company’s first product became commercially available in July 2018. (company press release)
• Land O’Lakes Inc. reported net sales of $14.9 billion and net earnings of $255 million for the year ending December 31, 2018, compared with net sales of $13.7 billion and net earnings of $365 million in 2017. (Feed Strategy enews)
FIELD SALES FORCE CENSUS REPORT
Size Matters: Field Team Report Now Available
Now you can benchmark your sales and professional services teams against leading competitors. A new Brakke report, Field Sales and Veterinary Teams provides a comprehensive census of the field organizations for 11 leading animal health and diagnostic companies. Which ones have expanded? Scaled back? How many regions and districts to they have?
The report covers the companion animal, food animal and equine markets, and includes territory reps, inside sales reps, sales management, professional service veterinarians and management, and other field specialists, by species focus. Pharma and Diagnostic teams reported separately.
Companies included in the report include:
Zoetis Animal Health
Complete report is $5,000. Companion animal and equine only is $4,000.
Order yours today by contacting John Volk at email@example.com or 773.327.4941.
COMPANY NEWS RELEASES
• Zoetis announced the launch of Clarifide Plus for Jerseys, the first commercially available, US-based genomic test created exclusively for the Jersey breed. (Bovine Veterinarian)
• Eli Lilly and Company announced the final exchange ratio for its previously-announced offer for shareholders to exchange their shares of Lilly common stock for shares of Elanco Animal Health owned by Lilly. For each share of Lilly common stock, Lilly will deliver 4.5121 shares of Elanco common stock to or at the direction of any such tendering shareholder. (PRnewswire)
• Norbrook announced that the FDA has approved Cefenil RTU (ceftiofur hydrochloride sterile suspension) antimicrobial for swine and cattle. (Animal Pharm)
• Bimeda announced that the FDA has approved Bimectin Plus (ivermectin and clorsulon) injectable solution for cattle, which is indicated for the treatment and control of internal parasites, including adult liver flukes, and external parasites. (Animal Pharm)
• Zomedica and IncellDx announced a partnership to incorporate biomarkers from the Zomedica’s canine cancer research programs with IncellDx’s BioINK reagents and novel cell cycle capabilities on circulating tumor cells. IncellDx’s BioINK is a pre-optimized kit intended to identify, enumerate, and quantify the important tumor therapeutic target PD-L1 on circulating tumor cells. (Veterinary Practice News)
• Provetica Animal Health announced that the FDA has approved Doxidyl (deracoxib) chewable tablets for dogs. Doxidyl is indicated for: the control of pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis in dogs; the control of post-operative pain and inflammation associated with orthopedic surgery in dogs; and for the control of postoperative pain and inflammation associated with dental surgery in dogs. (Animal Pharm)
• Cardinal Pet Care introduced two new pet dental care solutions. Remedy+Recovery Plaque Re-Lease Quick Melt Tablets with cranberry extract reduce plaque and tartar without brushing; Remedy+Recovery Hemp Breath Spray helps prevent tooth decay and fights bacteria with hemp, Manuka honey and peppermint oil. (Pet Product News)
• Synchrony Financial announced it has acquired Pets Best, a pet health insurance industry pioneer. Pets Best will operate under Synchrony’s CareCredit platform. Financial terms were not disclosed. (streetinsider.com)
• Layn Corp., a producer of plant-based sweeteners and natural extracts, is launching its premium line of TruGro by Layn ingredients for animal nutrition. The product line is focused on four primary feed support areas: gut health, antibiotic growth promoter replacement, palatability/sweeteners and antioxidants. The company will utilize distribution networks in North America, South America and Europe to bring its products to market. (Feedstuffs)
• Sport Endurance, Inc., to be reincorporated as Better Choice Company, Inc., announced entering into definitive agreements to acquire TruPet LLC and Bona Vida Inc., a CBD platform focused on developing a brand portfolio within the animal and human health and wellness space. Financial terms were not disclosed. (Globe Newswire)
• Nature’s Bounty Co. announced the launch of Mac+Maya, a new line of premium supplements for dogs now available on Amazon.com. (PRNewswire)
• Hippo Manager Software, Inc. announced it has added direct integration with IDEXX labs offering both on-site and reference lab results. The new lab integration is now live in the practice management platform. (company press release)
• Smart Tracking Technologies, LLC, an internet of things (IoT) company, has acquired the Link AKC, a GPS enabled dog collar. Financial terms were not disclosed. (Pet Product News)
• NORWAY Merck Animal Health announced it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Norwegian fish health company Scan Aqua, the operational affiliate of Scanvacc AS. The acquisition will include a product portfolio that features AQUI-S – a sedative for use during treatment, pumping, transportation and handling of salmon and rainbow trout – and Finquel, a widely-used anaesthetic mainly used during vaccination and handling events such as lice counting. Financial terms were not disclosed. (TheFishSite.com)
• EU Ceva Santé Animale has received a positive opinion ruling from European authorities for its Forceris antiprotozoal for injection in piglets. Forceris (toltrazuril/gleptoferron) is a combination antiprotozoal agent with anticoccidial activity; the product also features iron as gleptoferron. (Animal Pharm)
• UK Virbac announced the UK launch of Speed Reader, a laser-induced fluorescent reader that measures the concentration of biomarkers in serum and plasma. Speed Reader can test for T4, Cortisol, CPSE, Progesterone and cCRP. Virbac highlights that it is the only in-clinic diagnostic biomarker test for CPSE, to screen dogs for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. (VetSurgeon)
• EU Neogen announced the European launch of Neogen Viroxide Super disinfectant, a peroxygen-based disinfectant. (company press release)
• EU Chanelle Pharmaceuticals announced that the European Medicines Agency’s Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP) has recommended Chanhold (generic selamectin) for marketing authorization in cats and dogs. The product is a spot-on solution that treats and prevents different species of fleas, worms, lice and mites. (Animal Pharm)
• CANADA Laboratorios Hipra Canada announced the launch of Vepured, which is a vaccine to tackle edema disease in its clinical and subclinical form in pigs. Vepured is an inactivated recombinant E coli verotoxoid vaccine. (Animal Pharm)
• UK Pets Choice, a pet food and treat company based in England, announced it has acquired Rufus Foods. Financial terms were not disclosed. (PetFoodIndustry)
• CHINA Kemin Industries announced it has made an investment in CRVAB Bio-technology, a Chinese animal nutrition company, to develop its fermentation and production capabilities in the region. Financial terms were not disclosed. (Animal Pharm)
• UKRAINE Royal De Heus announced that it had signed an agreement to acquire a majority stake in D-Mix, a Ukrainian manufacturer or concentrates, specialty and complete feeds for swine and poultry. Financial terms were not disclosed. (Feedstuffs)
• CANADA Martha Stewart and Canopy Growth, parent company of Canopy Animal Health, announced a partnership to develop CBD products for pets. Terms were not disclosed. (Greencamp.com)
• ISRAEL OurCrowd, a global leader in equity crowdfunding; PETstock, a leading operator of integrated pet retail stores and veterinary hospitals in Australia; and Qure Ventures, Israel’s first exclusively-focused digital health fund, are collaborating to form Pet Health Innovation Labs (PHIL), an Israeli hub for innovative pet health technology. PHIL will bring together the best of the digital health technology and pet industries to deliver disruptive digital health pet solutions, focusing on four key areas: Connectivity: Connected solutions, smart wearables, pet diagnostics and IoT; Services: Pet health platforms, medical services and telecare; Analytics: AI, machine learning, analytics, genomics and precision medicine; and Wellness: Pet nutrition, exercise and allergies. (BusinessWire)
ANIMAL HEALTH NEWS
• US – NEWCASTLE DISEASE California’s State Veterinarian announced a poultry quarantine for all of Los Angeles County and large portions of San Bernardino and Riverside counties, following the confirmation of infection at an industry operation on Feb. 16. In addition to the latest quarantines, communities in the three counties continue to have mandatory euthanasia decrees for all poultry. With past and currently planned euthanasia orders, the disease will have led to the death of 1 million birds. (Dailydemocrat.com)
• CANADA – PEDV According to Alberta’s Ministry of Agriculture & Forestry, the province has confirmed its third and fourth cases of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV). The affected farm has stopped movement of all pigs, has implemented full bio-containment and is working to contain the disease. (Feedstuffs)
• US – ASF PREVENTION The USDA announced additional steps to keep African swine fever from entering the United States, even as the disease spreads internationally. Steps include enhanced screening at key ports and increasing efforts to develop accurate and reliable testing procedures to screen for the virus in grains, feeds and additives, and swine oral fluid samples. At the same time, USDA is continuing to enhance its planning so that the US prepared in case the country ever has to combat ASF. (National Hog Farmer)
• US- LYME DISEASE A new study by the Companion Animal Parasite Council (CAPC), which analyzed more than 16 million Lyme test results taken on domestic dogs in the country, found that prevalence rates for Canine Lyme disease are rising, including in states traditionally not considered to be high-risk. The research was published in the journal Environmetrics. (Veterinary Practice News)
• US – DENTAL GUIDELINES the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) has released the 2019 AAHA Dental Care Guidelines for Dogs and Cats, an update to their 2013 guidelines created with the goals of decreasing oral pain and improving the quality of life for companion animals. (association press release)
• US – FMD Research conducted by the USDA found that pigs infected with the foot-and-mouth disease virus were highly contagious to other pigs just 24 hours after infection and before showing any clinical signs of infection, such as fever or blisters. Prior to this research, people believed that transmission of FMD occurred after visible signs of sickness. The research was published in Scientific Reports. (Pork Business)
UNDERSTANDING THE OVER-THE-COUNTER MARKET
Whether your business is considering the OTC channels for new business opportunities or you have been distributing in the OTC channels for years, Brakke Consulting’s team can provide significant and quality assistance to businesses seeking to learn more about the details of the OTC channels of distribution. If you are looking for meaningful insights into the OTC channels, the trends found there, and the opportunities that exist, contact our Dallas office or Joel Adamson at firstname.lastname@example.org .
BRAKKE CONSULTING VIEWPOINT
One can’t help but be impressed with the many investments companies are making in animal health – acquisitions, new digital platforms, global expansion, new products.
The largest investment many companies make every year is the team of territory representatives and professional service veterinarians that call on and serve customers. A resource many managers find useful in managing their teams is Brakke’s Field Sales Force Census Report, as referenced earlier in the newsletter. This provides a complete picture of the field sales and professional veterinary service teams of 11 companies. It covers their organizations in the companion animal, food animal and equine markets.
The Field Census Report is an excellent tool for comparing how the size of your field teams matches competitors and other companies your size. Or, if you’re a new company building an organization for the first time, it provides guidance on the size of operation you’ll need to grow. The new report is available now. Please contact me if you have questions or would like to order.
John Volk, Senior Consultant
Trouble viewing this newsletter? You can view it online at www.BrakkeConsulting.com
This electronic newsletter is the sole property of Brakke Consulting.
Any use of the contents herein should be approved by and appropriately attributed to Brakke Consulting.
For more information about Brakke Consulting’s services and syndicated studies, visit our website at www.brakkeconsulting.com.
806 Green Valley Rd
Greensboro, NC 27408